"Charlie's Home Alone" is the eighth episode of the thirteenth season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It aired on October 24, 2018.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Plot[edit | edit source]
02:40 PM, on a Saturday, Philadelphia, PA
The Gang is about to leave for the Superbowl. Charlie is looking for his Green Man costume, arguing with Mac and The Waitress about his superstitions - wearing green, eating brown and drinking yellow. While Charlie is still in Paddy's looking for the suit, Cricket steals it and takes Charlie`s place (though that is only revealed in the next episode The Gang Wins the Big Game). When Charlie comes out they have already left. Charlie uses this opportunity to go through his friends' apartments, having fun with their stuff (including using Mac's dildo bike wearing the famous duster) before relocating to Paddy's, setting a watch for the beginning of the game.
Charlie hears noises from the basement but assures himself this is just his imagination. Then a couple of regulars appear, wanting to go to Paddy's. Seeing them outside, Charlie is convinced he needs to protect the bar. He devices a complex torture plan for the bar, consisting of strings strung across the whole bar and numerous traps, including a bear trap.
Unsurprisingly Charlie steps in the bear trap. He manages to cauterize his heavily bleeding leg, but passes out from the pain for an entire day. When he gains consciousness the game is just starting. Distraught Charlie realizes he hasn't done his rituals when he comes across a rat. Stopping it from going into a rat trap, he takes it in his hands and strokes it, saying he knows now what it feels like to be caught in a trap. Then he notices the rat is brown...and eats it without further ado. Shortly after that the reactions from outside tell Charlie the Eagles have scored. On his way to the TV, however, Charlie begins to vomit out parts of the rat and passes out again.
When he wakes up, people outside are booing, so Charlie wants to continue with his colors rituals. Having hung a can of green paint up on one of the strings, Charlie tries to make it fall down. When he finally manages it, the can hits him right in the head and he falls unconscious again. When he wakes up, there is green paint across his face though and people are cheering. Charlie then plans to drink something yellow, trying to get down a glass of beer from the bar, but the glass breaks without Charlie drinking anything. Outside, people are booing again, so Charlie sees no other solution but to drink his piss. As he is about to drink he hallucinates the cardboard cut-outs of Jason Kelce and Beau Allen coming alive and telling him to drink. After Charlie has drunken his piss, they tell him to turn on the TV. Charlie questions if he really needs to since he has already done all his color superstitions, but they tell him they would have never gotten so far without his rituals. Charlie makes his way across the bar to the TV, getting hit by numerous traps he set up in the process. He is unable to continue shortly before reaching the TV, so they tell him there is a release lever on the bear trap. Charlie gets out of the trap and switches on the TV. Seeing Brady has the ball, they tell Charlie he has to go back in the bear trap. When Charlie is reluctant, the assure him everything any fan does has a direct influence on the game. Charlie's just left to say "Oh shit," and the episode ends, to be continued appearing on the screen.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Starring[edit | edit source]
- Charlie Day as Charlie Kelly
- Glenn Howerton as Dennis Reynolds (credit only)
- Rob McElhenney as Mac
- Kaitlin Olson as Dee Reynolds
- Danny DeVito as Frank Reynolds
Guest Starring[edit | edit source]
- Mary Elizabeth Ellis as The Waitress
- David Hornsby as Cricket
- Travis Schuldt as Ben Smith
- Lance Barber as Bill Ponderosa
- Andrew Friedman as Uncle Jack
- TJ Hoban as Rex
- Beau Allen as Himself
- Jason Kelce as Himself
Co-Starring[edit | edit source]
- Andrew Hawtrey as Marv
- Bryan Coffee as Harry
- Merrill Reese as Announcer
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This episode is part of a two-part episode, continued in "The Gang Wins the Big Game."
- This episode censors a "fuck" for unknown reasons. The word had not been censored in any of Season 13 prior, but was beeped when used by guest star Jason Kelce, likely for PR reasons (Jason plays for the Philadelphia Eagles).
- This episode takes place on Saturday, February 3, 2018 and Sunday, February 4,2018. He starts the countdown clock on Saturday at 4:00pm with 26 1/2 hours until the Super Bowl that starts 6:30pm Sunday. He passes out from blood loss and other things, losing large chunks of time.
- The title is a reference to the 1990 holiday comedy Home Alone, as are several subsequent scenes (Charlie rummaging through everyone else's stuff, trying aftershave, setting traps in the bar, etc.)
- Charlie's rat bat, that he was previously given to him as a present in Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats, reappears.
- Charlie's "Dram Bok", which we saw in the episode "Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats", can be seen in the box of stuff that Charlie looks through to try to find the Green Man costume.
- The countdown clock Charlie uses appears to be the same one Dennis used to count down the "24 hour news cycle" in "Wolf Cola: A Public Relations Nightmare".
- Dennis does not appear in this episode, despite the fact that Glenn Howerton is credited during the opening credits.
- In the form of a continuity error/wardrobe detailing: Charlie's decrepit Vans high tops are swapped out with noticeably cleaner and newer duplicate pair during scenes that would stain them with fake blood or green paint.
[edit | edit source]
|Season 13 Episodes|